From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:52:50 -0500
> From:    Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Risks to Computers.......and Encryption
>
> Re: Hugh's post
>
> "If the higher security encryption keys slows down the system more (50%
> estimated)  than less secure keys, how much speed do we want to trade
> off for security?"
>
> time and money... probably one reason some use two (or more) tier
> storage,
> so you have more hours to get the backup prepared, encrypted, and onto
> tape.

This discussion of time and money is one the RM should be part of so
your
reply is excellent.

> "If the encryption key is stored on the system and the system is down
> how do we access the key?"
>
> obviously, you have to be able to access the keys and other
> equipment/materials it takes to restore the backups

Again, the RM needs to know how theses keys are to be protected and
accessed
and this might even be a role that the RM should play because
protecting the vital
records is the role of the RM in the organization.

> "If password protected files are stored on transferable, portable
> media,
> don't we have the same risk as losing a lap top?"
> If they are encrypted and the key is not lost with the media, then the
> risk just dropped down near zero.

I think how these keys are protected and where they reside is an issue
that RM
should play a part in.

> "Encryption slows back up, if we face a disaster such as a storm or
> hurricane, won't slowing down the back up create more risk?"
>
> If you don't back up until a hurricane bears down on you, then you
> deserve
> what you get!

The problem with Katrina seems to be that hurricanes threaten the
coastal areas
all the time and the threat is always predicted to be much worse than
it turns out
to be.  So a lot of companies waited until the last thing and Katrina
was much worse
than anybody expected.  When Houston was threatened, in the next
hurricane, then
everyone reacted as if another Katrina was coming and it turned out to
not be as bad.

> "If we are in disaster recovery, won't the slowness of the system
> create
> recovery problems?"
>
> You expect to do this how often? If it takes an extra 6 hours to get
> the
> data transferred, what is the business impact?

But the role of the disaster recovery plan, is to plan as if the event
is a sure thing that will
happen next week.  If you don't do that, then the plan will be a sham.

But I agree with you that if you do everything right then no problems
will develop.  But
planning ahead with the RM in the game with IT will provide a better
end game solution.
Having input from an IT person is good for everyone on the Listserv.
More and more it is
a digital game and we all need to be better at understanding it.

> Jay Maechtlen
> Ameriquest Data Service

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults