From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:11:46 -0800
Jay Maechtlen
Ameriquest Data Service

see www.ejectejecteject.com
This is just a test... if this was an actual sig, you would have been
mildly amused...

Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[spam?]::Re: Risks to Computers.......and Encryption

> IT management makes me nervous because they will put everything at risk
> for a little more speed and a little more density.  Blade servers are a
> great example of that.  Fire marshals are going back to demanding water
> in IT Server rooms rather than clean agent suppression systems because
> they view the blade server as a bad fire risk.

do you have a link for that? - a quick Google revealed no such...

> Has the appliance been phased to the retention schedule?  Will the key
> be relevant for the 7 year retention period or the 50 year retention
> period or did the IT planner think about the period for which the
> records need to stay safe, secure, readable?  If someone as big and
> savvy as EMC refers to this as a knee-jerk reaction, shouldn't this
> worry us?
I'd expect the appliance to be at least as robust as a tape drive...

> Would you bet your life on the reliability of this technology?  If we
> are storing health records and an appliance is part of the system, then
> maybe that is what this new appliance is being asked to do?

This goes back to qualifying the backup/restore process. One more thing in
the chain to eval/qualify.
I'm not a backup pro, others can comment with more authority...

The information in this email, and any attachments, may contain
confidential information and is intended solely for the attention and
use of the named addressee(s). It must not be disclosed to any
person(s) without authorization. If you are not the intended recipient,
or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute, or
retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.