From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:50:42 -0600
>>IMs suggestion that responsible (organizations) should encrypt their
tapes obfuscates the problem that the pickup and delivery of tapes (or
any other media) should  be performed perfectly everytime.<<

Let's apply the same standard expected of IM to our everyday life.  If
we do, we will never need car insurance, because the only level of
performance says that we (or the other driver) will never have an
accident.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as perfect, regardless of whether
people or processes are involved.  While IM may strive to be
bulletproof, as long as data is transported, stuff will happen.  It
doesn't matter whether it is hauling tapes across town or pushing data
remotely to a server.  And it isn't always the fault of the service
provider.

For anyone to expect otherwise is a bit unrealistic.  Encryption simply
adds an additional layer of protection for when the inevitable happens.

Bill R