From:
"Snyder, Jeffrey L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 08:08:42 -0500
Jennifer,

When I still with the Library of Virginia, we had an experience very much like the one you've described.  Some 200 reels of microfilm belonging to a state agency were submerged in the floodwaters of Gaston.  The agency was led astray and the microfilm was dried with fans (still on the reel!).  When the agency called me, we had them place each reel in a plastic bag, along with a damp cloth, then refrigerated.  Once chilled, the film was sent to the Kodak Disaster Recovery lab in NY.  The damp rags released just enough moisture to allow the film to unstick, and the experts at Kodak managed to save every reel.  I can't say whether or not you'll have the same success, but if your circumstances are dire, it may be worth a try.

Jeffrey L. Snyder
Records Supervisor
Hunton and Williams, LLP
(804) 788-8440