From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:51:41 -0500
<You likely have a name, an account number and a dollar amount showing
on this card.>

Nothing anyone can do with a utility account number if other safeguards
are in place for releasing info over the phone (i.e. requiring other
pieces of information about the account from the caller).  The Virginia
GDCDPA I mentioned in my earlier response has been interpreted as
allowing us to release (or reveal) the following info about a customer
under FOIA (that is, the info is "public"):
Customer name
Service address
Consumption (how much water they used)
Amount paid for consumption

Non-government owned utilities are not subject to FOIA, but may be
subject to various other privacy protection laws.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division