From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:59:17 -0500
On 12/8/05, Roach, Bill J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >>Has anyone heard of a SOX compliance regulation becoming effective in
> 2006 that requires email to be kept 3 years?<<
>
> No such requirement exists.  The trouble with reporters is they have a
> tendency to believe folks that repeat what they think they heard.  SEC
> has requirements about retaining certain emails for specified periods of
> time, SOX does not.

actually the SEC regulation 17a-4 mentions communications it is not
just limited to email.  According to the reg all communications
between the broker/dealer and the customer must be retained for a
specific period of time.

here is a truncated portion of the regulation in question.

"17a-4(b) Every member, broker and dealer subject to ... shall
preserve for a period of not less than three years...originals of all
communications and copies of all communications sent..."

searching the regulation I can find no mention of email or e-mail. So
the key word is communication in whatever form that communication is.

from sunny SoCal

--
Peter Kurilecz
Richmond, Va