From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:55:47 EST

In a message dated 12/9/2005 12:02:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

Date:    Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:11:29 -0500
From:     "Cusack, Maureen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: SOX  Regulation Effective in  2006??

Yes, in Canada we struggle to  explain this also, even without a SOX:
there is no such thing as an "email"  record type so you can't "retain
email" for a certain period of time.  Retention applies to the type of
record it is : its content, its aboutness.  Not its carrier (the medium
that it travels through). Email is a just a  carrier.

The pros know this, but unfortunately those writing regulations and  drafting
laws do not always. The drafting of the US Uniform Computer Information
Transactions Act (UCITA -- what I prefer to call U-Cheat-A) was done by lawyers
without real input from ARM professionals. Certain record types, were excluded
from the law's definition of "record" because attorneys from the software
interests that had drafted the law struck a deal with certain industries to
exclude them from it.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Barry