From:
Kathleen Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 08:56:24 -0600
David - In 1999 the DA's office in McLennan County began maintaining
Disposition Letters (a permanent record) in electronic format only.  Each
year they forwarded a CD to the Records Center for permanent storage.  When
people needed the information, we would access the CD's and fax the info to
them.  This worked fine for the 1999 CD, but we were unable to access the
info on the later CD's.  Turned out they had used an old version of
WordPerfect which was no longer on any of the computers.  We had to find a
copy of the software, load it on one of the Records Center computers and
spend a year printing out the disposition letters.  We now plan to film/scan
the documents and save the file as a pdf file which we hope will remain
accessible for many years.  If not, there will be microfilm.  This is a long
way of saying that the electronic format is wonderful, but when dealing with
permanent/long term records be sure they remain accessible which will
require a good working relation with your IT department.