From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:56:39 -0800
Your example of using a marker board as a temporary display does not
support your position on going completely electronic for records.  We
all do that when brainstorming, etc.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/09/05 07:50AM >>>
Perhaps so, Steve, but not with today's common versions of PCs and
laptops and handhelds and other devices. They are too limiting in
their
input/output and physical characteristics to meet the demands of the
human mind and body to perform at their full potential.

One example:  If I need to analyze a problem and think through various
scenarios and alternatives, I sure don't turn to my keyboard.  I get
up
from my cushy chair, grab a marker, and scribble thoughts and ideas
all
over the big whiteboard in my office.  I erase, I add, I change, I
draw
arrows and asterisks.  Periodically I step back and look for themes
and
relationships, and eventually put order to the chaos and come up with
solution.  A computer screen can't give the same big-picture vision
and
physical involvement in the analytical process.  Today's computers
have
their uses in many situations, I'll agree, but they also certainly
have
limitations that prevent them from being the best solution in all
cases.

I've adapted to the technology for many years.  At some point the
technology is going to have to adapt to me (and the generation after
me).

Happy Friday, Greg