From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:16:50 -0800
Mary Lou, please do not confuse me today; I am not going to break out a
geometry book on a Friday.  My point in reply to that particular posting
was that the retention period factors in developing the policy are done
because of the A, B, and C reasons the poster had mentioned.

We need to retain information in order to do the following:
A) meet current and future business needs,
B) comply with legal requirements, and
C) meet current and future needs of internal and external stakeholders

Here is how we do it: (as an example)
Operational/Administrative need               (1 year, dept. reference
need)
Fiscal requirements                                  (3 years, internal
audit need and audit cycle)
Legal advice                                            (0, null value,
no advice offered)
Regulatory requirements (published)       (4 years, FERC 125.3, XX)
Historic                                                    (0, no
historic value)

The retention of any record series will be the longest of the above 5
considered, evaluated, and researched values.  These will also meet the
organizations and stakeholder needs.  Therefore the retention policy for
this record series is 4 years, driven by the regulatory agency
requirement.

Guns & butter mean you can hunt, eat, and shoot the bad guys when they
threaten you and your family.  Naught plus naught equals naught; per
Jethro Bodine.  I have employees, software, and calculators when I need
to do statistical analysis to help make management decisions.  I do not
know the slope, slant, or angle/degree of declination nor standard
deviation of the above retention model.  I probably also do not know or
remember all my math terms.  However, I do know that the above retention
policy model works; I have used it for 21 years.

Have a good weekend.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/09/05 08:08AM >>>
Steve, when you say 'matrix' it implies an array of variables. If the
five variables listed below are the X axis, what variables go on the Y
axis?
Thanks,
Mary Lou Carpenter
<snip>