From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:48:24 -0500
We've just gone through this exercise.  It is indeed complicated.  We finally came up with the following:

SURVEILLANCE RECORDINGS
Audio or visual recordings created by or for the department during the monitoring of Waterworks facilities and work areas for security. Recordings may be audio or video in electronic or magnetic format.

a.	Surveillance of areas where moneys are collected - Retain 10 years after recording, then destroy/delete. (Code of Virginia §8.01-216.9) [This is based on the limitation of action for prosecuting for theft from state or local government.]

b.	Surveillance of all other facilities and work areas for security purposes - Retain 3 years after recording, then destroy/delete.  If recording is part of security incident, retain 3 years after last action then destroy(GS16-005690) [this is based on the State General Schedule requirements (which we are required to follow) coupled with our Security Manager's procedures and policy for Homeland Security activities.]

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division