From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:53:55 -0800
comments inline

Jay Maechtlen
Ameriquest Data Service

This is just a test... if this was an actual sig, you would have been
mildly amused...

Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 01/03/2006
08:51:44 AM:

> Happy New Year to all! Hope this year will be a great one for you all.
> Has anyone heard of using ozone to treat smoke odor on records. The
records
> were not damaged by fire or water but were contained in a fire proof
> cabinet and smelled like smoke. My uncle used instant coffee to
eliminate
> mustiness but I'm not sure it would work here. Many thanks!

I've seen ozone used to eliminate smoke odors from a residence (mine)
after a fire.
It works.

I'd be careful about exposure, as ozone attacks everything. (It is a more
vigerous oxidizer than regular free oxygen)
Too much exposure will damage the documents.

There should be a pretty wide spread between 'removal of odor' and
'significant damage to paper', though.
Don't know about other materials- photos and such may be more sensitive?

regards
Jay

> Patti Kraatz
> Coordinator, Information Mgmt & Archives
> Council & Administrative Services
> 2nd Floor, 150 Frederick St.
> Ph: 575-4725    Fax: 575-4481

The information in this email, and any attachments, may contain
confidential information and is intended solely for the attention and
use of the named addressee(s). It must not be disclosed to any
person(s) without authorization. If you are not the intended recipient,
or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to, and must not, disclose, copy, distribute, or
retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.