From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:27:33 -0800
Chris writes:
"See it took me ten hours a day to get the work done now I find that it can
be worked by the next
generation in an hour a day."

Easy there big guy! Somehow I read the same post, but came away with a
little different take. I can empathize very much with Lura. Our work is
still so much misunderstood, funding is not where it should be, resources
are scarce. Often retention schedule development, the very core of a records
program, is the least understood.

I've been asked here by the attorneys I work with why we just can't buy some
schedules. Well you sorta can, but you also sorta have to tailor them to
suit your business. Ours is a time-consuming, detailed important lot. We all
know that part.

So what happens to someone like Lura? She may get discouraged, she may move
on, or she may find an organization like ARMA to help her get moving. Maybe
she'll find out that all this records stuff is fun.  There are many
organizations seeking good records staff. And there are opportunities.

Personally I am hoping that the ARMA task team working on core competencies
delivers in a big way. I had volunteered to take part in the workshop held
back in October, but had to bow out at the last minute when my dad ended up
back in the hospital. Obviously I feel pretty strongly about career
development for our filed and standard position description or I would not
have offered to participate.

Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA