From:
Karen Shay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:44:52 -0500
Lura - I am in the same position as you, only when I was first assigned records retention I was also the executive secretary to the city manager, authored ALL City Council agendas, was secretary to the Retirement Board of Trustees, backed up the HR Manager and handled all complaints filed with the city.  After a few months of trying to convince my boss that it was impossible to do the records on top of my job, he moved me from his office, split my former job up among three full-time employees and one part-time and assigned records to me full time.  I am in the process of learning all I can and ARMA is a great help.  They offer a ton of on-line classes and the books they publish are invaluable.  We have never had a retention policy in the 48 years since we incorporated as a city.  I need to come up with a plan and they want it yesterday.  Talk about feeling like a fish out of water! As a trained executive secretary for 30 years, I guess I should be happy for the opportunity to begin another career, but I would rather have been given the opportunity to get educated before being thrown into the position.  Good Luck Lura - and if you come up with any good ideas, please contact me at [log in to unmask]