From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:58:57 -0500
I enjoyed Patrick's response and agree with him, but would also add that
in addition to enhancing and maintaining our understanding of
technology, we also need to be focusing on enhancing our business
skills.

Patrick mentions that "analysts" may transform into "strategists" -
however without a solid understanding of where RIM fits in the
organization's business structure and how RIM interacts with other
functional units to achieve business goals, the ensuing strategy would
be fairly flat, or at least one sided.

Knowing how to build a business case, business plan, manage projects to
time and budget constraints, forging meaningful professional
relationships with other leaders in your organization, presenting
complex RIM concepts to high-level executives in a summarized and
impactful way that encompasses the core of the initiative while pushing
the buttons that will ensure funding ... And so on and so on.

While I've been around less blocks than Patrick (and I say that with the
utmost respect Patrick!), I have been around a few.  And in the past 5
years I can honestly say that my business acumen and willingness to
"play the game" (and play it well) has put me in a position that I am
proud of, and a bit sooner than I expected.

Again, as Patrick says, RM is much more an art than a science and I
totally agree.  Part of that art is learning how to influence people,
justify funding, manage expectations, etc.  We talk a lot about RIM
folks needing to be ready to support upper/executive management, however
I am looking at my future with the expectation that I will BE
upper/executive management, not just support them!

(and a side argument that I got from a colleague the other day ... If
RIM is infused with too much business focus, it will lead to a dilution
of RIM principles in favor of the bottom line.  Any thoughts about that
anyone?)

Have a fab evening everyone!

Julie

Julie J. Colgan, Manager of Records Services, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP,
Atlanta, GA

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.