From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:02:21 -0700

If RIM is infused with too much business focus, it will lead to a dilution
of RIM principles in favor of the bottom line. Any thoughts about that
anyone?

Hi Julie,

I always have an opinion but manage to hold myself at bay most of the time -
we're on a a rampage today evidently!

There will always be the short sighted in any endeavor, that cannot be
avoided! But your implication that "too much business focus" would
compromise the RIM industry stuns me. We only exist due to business, either
private or public!

RIM by the book:

"Records management is about maintaining an audit trail in order to protect
the best interests of your business. Record management programs strive to
make sure that end users have all the information you need, when you need it
 in the format you need at the lowest possible cost.

Good records management helps all organizations achieve their business goals
but the fact that records management is not the company’s primary business,
is discretionary and does not generate revenues are major barriers to
executive support for the development of excellent programs in many
companies"

does not make RIM and Business opposed to each other.

The very thought that Rim VS Business could imply a relationship like
Religion VS Science - then we are all doomed...dooomed
Save me before I evolve or vice versa or just let the politicians save the
day by passing more RIM directives.

Who will help us if we don't get involved to make sure that there is no
dilution of RIM principles in favor of the bottom line"?
Ultimately RIM principles and the bottom line HAVE to serve the same
purposes!

As Dwight pointed out: "From my own experience, any time a county agency has
severely cut records as no longer critical to their business focus, they
have suffered long term consequences"

No, I don't have any opinions about this.... some days there is just not
enough cyberspace!

Janie Wait

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President