From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:30:06 -0500
A couple of good responses to my colleague's comment!  I totally agree with you Janie and Dwight!  It is our job to use our good business skills to refute this kind of idea as well as the, unfortunately often commonplace, opinions that RM is a secondary business process.  The time is upon us to take the business world by storm, helping them understand how good RM is critical to good business practice and that it can improve and inform other functions within our organizations.

I also agree that we need to hold strong to our professional principles as we interact with business to ensure the proven benefits of RM are realized, especially in the face of short term business goals.  I remember a while back someone wrote to the list asking for advice on how to reverse their organization's (perhaps short sided) decision to downsize the RM department.  That is a perfect opportunity to flex the muscles we're talking about - get in there and explain why that would be detrimental to the organization's goals, but you'll have to do it by speaking their language!

And can I say, I really enjoy this list!  There are many exceptional minds here and the sense of community is fantastic.  I learn from each of you and only hope that, from time to time, I can help one of you.

Julie

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.