From:
"Mallory, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:53:30 -0600
For those of you who haven't met me, I'm one of the document management
system administrators at The University of Texas System.  I have about 6
years of experience in information management. A few of those years were
specifically devoted to traditional records management activities such
as: creating retention schedules, training employees, purging records,
etc.

I haven't been as active on the listserv lately, but I couldn't resist
posting this article.  I found the mentions of meta-tagging and card
catalogs particularly interesting.

Net-Centricity Plan Puts Data Up Front

Dawn S. Onley

Government Computer News

http://www.gcn.com/25_01/news/37930-1.html

"The goal of Data Sharing in a Net-Centric Department of Defense,
directive 8320.2, is to give DOD and the services a road map to share
data within the Global Information Grid on a need-to-know basis. That
strategy includes breaking down the massive DOD agencies and services
into communities of interest, usually by programs, tasks or functional
areas, with each community responsible for developing data vocabulary,
taxonomies and services to make information consistent and
understandable."

Alicia Mallory

Systems Analyst

The University of Texas System