From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:11:47 -0800
Larry Medina wrote:
>I was also a bit confused about their concerns related to the privacy
issues, etc.  The cited the "Kaiser Permanente" issue and their concern
t hat it will bring up all the employee records related to their
selection of a health plan... I don't know why they couldn't go back and
ask for permission to do the search as a "Kaiser Permanente and not XYZ"
so these records weren't included in the results, or why they couldn't
otherwise avoid producing these as they can easily show they aren't
germane to the action.

Larry, one of the notable things about this particular situation is the
lack of involvement by any records management professional.

An editorial today on this... Quote: "On December 19, <Judge> Nachtigal
ruled <Beaverton officials> were incompetent and negligent for allowing
the city's least experienced technician, who had a record of losing
data, to extract files in the Nike case from a computer drive. The drive
was inexplicably destroyed.... Never before...have we seen a major
Oregon city go head-to-head over public records with an entity as large
and powerful as Nike."

http://www.oregonlive.com/editorials/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial
/1137110131238550.xml&coll=7

Subtitle: "Oregonians are witnessing an important civics lesson that may
result in greater openness in local government"

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution & Stores
(FREDS)
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741