From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:21:08 -0600
>>I have searched the archives and could not come up with an answer<<

Sorry, I don't believe the answers you are seeking are available.

Metrics are great but have to be based on some type of baseline.  The
time required to prep a box of documents for imaging is a good example.
A box of reports may take far less time than a box of invoices.  If you
can provide a concrete example of the type of records, folks may be able
to provide information based on their experience.

The time required for a retention schedule is even more difficult.
Where you do business, type of business, how heavily regulated and how
many lines of business are included all play a role.  Is the individual
experienced and are they working with counsel and other key players that
understand records retention?  How much experience does the individual
have in legal research?  How much do they know about the records of the
organization?  All of these play a big role in what it takes to put
together a good retention schedule.

With regards to your final question, I am unaware of any legal
requirement to dispose of records after the retention timeframe has
expired.  I know it can happen by court order but am unaware of any
other circumstances.  Most organizations with strong retention programs
make an organizational decision on the matter.  However, please don't
mistake the lack of legal requirement with a low risk.  Retaining some
records longer than identified by the schedule while tossing others can
lead to big problems.  Especially when trying to explain to a judge why
some records are available and others are not.  For my money, having no
schedule is less of a risk than have one that is used haphazardly.

Bill R

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota