From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:08:20 -0600
>>Now before every one yells get a rope... <<

Nothing I like better than an open slate:

>>How would you staff this records management program?<<

For the first several months to a year I would recommend only a skilled
records manager.  An organization that can't even spell retention is not
the place to waltz into with a grand scheme in place.  The RM should
spend time getting to know the records, who creates them, how they are
used, when they are used, how has copies, what is stored off-site and
who really wanted to start this program in the first place.

While that little stroll around the organization is taking place some
research is in order.  What type of legal problems have they had with
records in the past?  Where would staff most like to see improvements?
Are there any regulatory or legal issues?  Who are the leaders and
decision makers at the various levels of the organization?  Why did this
organization suddenly decide they needed a RM function?

>>If your recommendation is form a centrally managed records management
team, what staff roles would you recommend and what would their job
duties be?<<

I cannot imagine an environment where I would recommend anything but a
central RM function that drives RM activities across the organization.
At the same time, no one does a better job of minding the store than the
folks that own it.  A central authority can work with senior management
to implement policies and practices that will provide efficiency and
protection to the organization.  RM coordinators or representatives
within the various functions can help put the program together.  A team
effort helps to get buy-in from the folks who will have to participate
in RM activities.  The RM should focus efforts on those functions that
are looking for assistance.  Ignore those that want nothing to do with a
records program.  There will be plenty of work to be done with those
that want the benefits.  When the RM is successful, staff from resistant
units will insist they be able to participate also.

Unless the company has major problems, a large centralized records staff
is probably not needed.  Instead, the RM should focus on putting a
limited number of highly skilled RM professionals in place.  Their rolls
should focus on tasks like developing methods for records inventory,
researching retention schedules and education.

>>How would you manage and staff the records management programs at the
sites?<<

Depending on the size of the remote sites, a record liaison would be a
good choice.  They interact with onsite folks to provide needed
communication with the centralized records function.  At a large
facility it may be a full time position.  In smaller ones it could be
rolled into an existing position.  The key is getting the right person
for the job.  You can always train a good person.  Unfortunately, you
cannot always re-program a bad one.

Creating a successful program from scratch can be easier than trying to
fix one that is in trouble.  RM provides tremendous benefits to an
organization.  The best thing the RM can do is to provide the education
necessary for management and staff to see how RM benefits not just the
"organization", but how it can make their job easier.  Once you do that,
the rest falls into place.

Bill R

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator