From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:56:00 -0800
Greg Schildmeyer said:
>Assuming you would not plan to put the boxes on shelves at your emergency
>location, and would intend to move them back after the emergency, moving
>the records on pallets is the most logical method.

I agree.  I've moved boxes before - stacking on a pallet is the only way to
go.  Not only does a pallet make on and off loading easier (using a
forklift) but it also reduces the possibility of the bottoms of the boxes
getting wet.  Typically the floor of a trailer is dry but there is always
the possibility of water seeping inside, especially during a heavy
rainstorm.  Stack the boxes four to five high and then use shrink-wrap to
keep the boxes from moving.  The shrink-wrap not only keeps the boxes
tightly wrapped but provides a level of waterproofing as well.

As others have noted before, if you've identified your vital records and
taken steps to protect them, either through duplication (if paper) or
through a hot site or vendor (electronic) then there shouldn't be a need to
move all of the records.  But your management may see things differently.

Good luck...

Bruce L. White, MBA, CRM, PMP
Manager, Contracts/Records
  Management
Sempra Global
TEL: 619-696-4671
FAX: 619-696-2534
CELL: 619-952-7145

Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility, SDG&E or SoCalGas, and
Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission