From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:01:56 -0500
On 1/21/06, J. Michael Pemberton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At 04:00 PM 1/20/2006, you wrote:
> >C'mon. Has ARMA ever invited NHPRC to participate in its
> >programming? If so, did they refuse?  (I rather doubt it.)
> Actually, I invited them--specifically through Richard Cameron, an
> NHPRC staffer, who said he would pass the idea along. Nothing came
> from  that to my knowledge. I'm not surprised.  (I don't think any
> such organization has to be "invited" to an ARMA conference.)

IF NHPRC (or someone associated with them) wishes to speak at the ARMA
conference they should submit a speakers proposal like everyone else.
But I also suspect that if needed ARMA could make a session time
available for NHPRC.

But what concerns me most is that the archival community as a whole
fails to realize that they need to interact with RMs at the beginning
of the record creation process to ensure that records of historical
value are identified and the proper disposition assigned. Remember we
are talking about no more than 3-5% of an organizations records. But
what does that represent in real terms? If a company has say 250K
boxes in storage we are talking about 7,500 to 12,500 boxes. But the
vast majority of corporate records are created digitally and remain
digitally for there lifecycle. In this day and age content is being
reused over and over again.

However I also believe that records managers need to understand that
one of the values used in determining retention is the historical
importance of the record. This requires the RM to have the foresight
of Nostradamus.

As a subscriber to the archivist listserv I am always amazed when
someone posts a question asking where the archives of Company X are
located. This assumes first of all that an archives existed and that
it somehow has survived the passing of the company.

oh well thats enough rambling for this Sat morn

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va