From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:12:56 EST

As ARM professionals, we should stand by and make use of the authority and
international consensus we have in the definition used in ISO-15489-1,  Terms
and definitions.3.15:  "records: information created, received, and maintained
as  evidence and information by an organization or person, in pursuance of
legal  obligations or in the transaction of business." P. 2.  And remember to
distinguish between "record" and "evidence" which is  defined in laws (e.g., US
Federal Rules of Evidence, Section 401,
_http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rules.htm#Rule401_ (http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/fre/rules.htm#Rule401) )
that  includes records, and more, but in no way diminishes the evidentiary
characteristics of records; and related legal terms (e.g., "legacy data" in
sources such as the Sedona guidelines, http:/www.thesedonaconference.org)

Regards,

Rick

Rick Barry