From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:50:47 -0800
Michelle:

Yes, the record storage business in in peril.  But it comes from more than
scanning.  The use of electronic systems for accounting and business
operations is, I believe, a bigger one.

In my area of the country scanning is a commodity, very price competitive,
and only a few folks are making money at it.  You need to understand the
processes and keep your expenses low.  Off-shore companies are exerting
price pressure when the document (or its image) can be shipped to lower
labor markets.  Service bureaus are shutting down all over (a good way to
get used equipment and experienced staff, BTW!)

The first step might be to ask your clients about their current and planned
use of imaging.  You need that data to convince your management and to judge
the potential.  If you do decide to start scanning, I would suggest that you
consider starting small, perhaps with a value added image/e-mail delivery
alternative and learn the ropes.  Maybe the 2nd step after be to outsource
the image storage and provide access as a service?

Good luck.

Bernard Chester, CDIA+, EDP, ICP, AIIM MIT
Principal
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA   98040
(office) 206-230-9253
(cell) 206-979-7389