From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:19:00 -0800
Greg:

Thanks to you and those others who educated me about the services available
from the state archives.  Two cents an image is a good price, but it does
add up -- one hundred thousand sides would cost $2,000.  Free quality
storage is an even greater value.  BTW, I would also write the index data
out to film, and try to link an entry to a reel, then add reel specific
indexing at the start of each reel pointing when possible to the starting
frame.  A computer can generate this relatively easily and the benefit for
later locating a document is priceless.

However, I think some of your discussion is not relevant to the case under
discussion.

The costs you mention are important (in fact I think your percentages are
low), but they are not specific to the permanent records held but an
overhead for having any document management system.  If you assume that the
EDRMS is there to support current operations, then these costs would exist
even if no permanent records were held in it.