From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:16:00 -0800
Patrick, great posting! You wrote: "I'm a little concerned about some of
the numbers tossed around here.
Yes, you can get a document scanned for US$.02 an image. But as far as
I'm concerned, that's the cost for a service bureau to run the document
through a scanner -- clearly there is a lot more to it than scanning."

Since I'm one of the ones that tossed that number out, I just wanted to
clarify - in the context of the discussion that occurred to that point,
I was referring to the transfer of electronic images to microfilm, not
the scanning of paper documents. The discussion was really in reference
to whether already scanned permanent paper records need retention. I was
discussing the alternative of transferring those archival images to
microfilm, as opposed to storing the paper.

To be honest, even the image> microfilm varies sometimes. My number was
for fairly straightforward document recording systems. We have other
prices for more complex jobs: $0.035/image for converting postscript
files out of SAP, for example, for long term payroll registers. However,
to date, most of the needs we have in this area have fallen within the
$0.02/image number.

I have to say - I agree with everything you said: it coincides with my
own experience, and actually neatly summarizes key elements of our own
electronic records keeping strategy. Good job!

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution & Stores
(FREDS)
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741