From:
Gary Vocks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:54:15 -0600
I think that two points need to be addressed here.  First, is it the
document that is archival or is it simply the information that requires
"permanent" retention?  If the document is truly archival (to use an extreme
example one of the signed copies of the "Declaration of Independence") then
you shouldn't even think of creating an image and destroying the original.
On the other hand if it's the information in  the document that's important
and not the physical document  then what would be the harm of creating an
image and destroying the original paper?  Assuming, of course that the image
was readable.

Which brings me to the second point.  If the imaging/microfilming is done to
standards and the proper QC procedures are in place why can't we assume that
the microfilm/electronic image is going to be just as readable as the
original document?  In my experience with both microfilm and scanning there
are times when the image viewed on a screen is actually more readable than
the original document.

Gary Vocks
Records Management Officer
Southern Illinois University