From:
Graham Kitchen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:22:56 -0800
I think what many people forget is that email is only a way of getting information from one place to another.  The important factor being forgotten is that it is the content of the email that is important and not the fact that is an email.

Another important factor is that each time an email is transferred from one location to another, the metadata changes.  That is, if I move an email from the email server to a different folder, the metadata changes.

What is significant about that?  Well in legal proceedings, it is the original metadata that is important (who received what, when, and what route did it take, that is, was there an opportunity to change the content at any point from beginning to end?)

Also, if an email is printed out, the metadata is mostly lost (except for the to, from subject and date info).

It would make sense to have an on-line classification system with related folders that match your hardcopy records system. In turn, your retention schedules would also apply to your electronic records.  It would be through this process that archival selection could take place.  As you have already decided on archival selection of hardcopy records, the decision as to what would be selected should already be made.

Graham Kitchen
Corporate Records Manager
Unified Western Grocers
5200 Sheila Street