From:
Bil Kellermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:42:28 -0800
Civil & criminal courts regularly decline to admit all sorts of
documents into evidence, including email, if they cannot be properly
authenticated.  Such decisions seldom make it into an appellate record
because it is an abuse of discretion standard that is difficult to
overturn and evidentiary issues are almost always a collateral matter
(fraud and forgery cases being the obvious exception.)

Moreover, most of the big email cases cite to the failure to preserve
and produce responsive and material email, leading to sanctions.

I have had some small personal experience where email either wasn't
admitted, or wasn't even proffered because of authentication problems.
On the other hand, the evidentiary aspect is very often stipulated away
because everyone agrees the email is what it purports to be.

William Kellermann, Esq.
Director, Corporate Legal Systems
CT Summation
www.ctsummation.com