From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 12:40:36 -0500
A couple of thoughts in addition to the things previously mentioned by
Larry, Tom, Patrick et al..  They all made good points.  I would add
that people sometimes engage differently on message boards than they do
face to face.  So you don't always get a sense of the "real" person,
only their virtual persona.

Not only can postings be misused, they can sometimes can be
misunderstood.  Some observers believe we in the U.S. have an
increasing "argument culture. " Then there are the gender differences
that linguists such as Deborah Tannen have identified.  It's very easy
to misunderstand people, so I'm not surprised that flame wars sometimes
erupt.
See
http://nmc.itc.virginia.edu/E-folio/1/EDIS542/2004Fall-1/cs/UserItems/adg
3j_707.html

(copy and paste the link if the URL does not hypertext) for a brief
overview of some of Tannen's points.  She contends that men often
jockey for position -- mindful of who's up, whose down vis a vis the
others in a group.  While women supposedly look for connection).  Those
of you who engaged in our Myers Briggs discussion recently may find
this stuff interesting.  I tend to shy away from stereotyping, having
been stereotyped myself, but some of what Tannen writes does make me
stop and think.  I'm reading her new book about mothers and daughters
right now, my Mom gave it to me for my 55th birthday recently, LOL.

Whatever people do online, it becomes part of a "permanent" web record,
available for anyone to read, including potential employers.  And
lawyers!

We recently discussed some of this on the Archives List, with me
chiming in at
http://listserv.muohio.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0601B&L=ARCHIVES&P=R3814&
I=-3
and
http://listserv.muohio.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0601C&L=ARCHIVES&P=R4743&
I=-3
and
http://listserv.muohio.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0601B&L=ARCHIVES&P=R4496&
I=-3

The first posting has me cautioning people about what lawyers can do.
Some of the posts on the Archives List debated whether Gen X and Gen Y
are more inclined to believe in or accept less privacy than Baby
Boomers and preceding generations.

Maarja