From:
Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:59:49 -0800
Steve:

I cannot supply you with any reports for a project like yours, but the
parameters are very common.

I would scan the documents and convert the images into PDF.  You will want
to do a decent amount of "glass work" since the older documents are probably
too brittle to be safely put through a document feeder.  A low-cost scanner
and its associated software should be sufficient.  I'd use either 300 dpi
bitonal or 200 dpi grayscale to capture.  Visually review the images before
acceptance. If you can get a package that does OCR when creating the PDF,
I'd consider using it to make your PDF searchable.

Then use either a database driven or other content display mechanism to
organize for selection from your web site.  You have a lot of choices, from
fixed HTML pages to a dynamic text search tool.  Talk to your web master.

Hoping that this helps,
Bernard Chester, CDIA+, EDP, ICP, AIIM MIT
Principal
IMERGE Consulting, Pacific Northwest Office
7683 SE 27 Street, #316
Mercer Island, WA   98040
(office) 206-230-9253
(cell) 206-979-7389