From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:28:12 +1100
Diane

One thing I can remember from the 1980's is the truism "If you computerise a
messy manual system, all you end up is a very fast mess" (or something like
that).

Am electronic records management system (or indeed an electronic record
keeping system) is only part of the 'system' that you need to put in place.

You need the policies, training, guidelines, training, advice, more
training, classification schemes, training, change management strategies,
recordkeeping requirements, etc.  You will also need people trained, not
only in how to use the particular lump of software you introduce, but in
basic records management concepts, so they know why they are doing things
and what to do when they need to do something (eg, identify what records
they need to file, etc). Integrating recordkeeping functionality with
business systems is definitely a good idea. (Oh, did I mention the need for
training?)

According to the International Standard for records management (ISO 15489),
selection of a recordkeeping 'solution' comes at step E of the process.
Advice on how it is done in the Australian Commonwealth Government is
contained in the National Archives of Australia's DIRKS Manual (Designing
and Implementing Record Keeping Systems) at
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/dirks/summary.html.  There is also a set
of functional specifications for recordkeeping systems at
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/er/erms/specifications.html. While they
are not aimed at any other jurisdiction, they should be of interest.

So, I just really wanted to point out that selection of a lump of software
will NOT solve your recordkeeping problems.  You will have a bit of work to
do to make sure it all works properly.  The fact that your organisation
recognises there is a problem and  is willing to change is a very good
thing.

John Lovejoy
These are my views, but oddly enough, they pretty much coincide with those
of my employer.