From:
Chris Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:06:47 -0500
If I may, I'd like to put in my two-cent's worth.

Perhaps not in every case, but it's *almost always* better to go back to
original data rather than use imaged material. (If it needs to be
searchable, there are likely to be some OCR errors, and image files are
generally quite a bit bulkier.)

There are some folks around (I see one in the mirror when I'm shaving :-)
who specialize in puzzling out old file formats and can handle older
computer media. Often it's faster and cheaper to find the right nerd...

A few examples of undocumented data we've recovered in the last few years:
Romanian Census of 1977, Richard Nixon's mainframe appointment
calendar, "vacuumed" records re Whitewater.

"data archeology" doesn't always work out, but it's generally worh a shot.

Chris