From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:49:53 -0800
>I would also suggest checking, if you are a state funded institution to
>see, what requirements your state archives has set.
A good idea.  Some states have restrictions about the format of permanent
records.  Those that allow permanent electronic storage require specific
procedures to be documented and in place, i.e. migration strategy, to ensure
long term accessibility.  Evaluating the costs (both implementation and
maintenance) in meeting these requirements may result in a changing of
attitude.

Over the years I've collected different size floppy disks and other storage
media (even a couple of eight track tapes) that at the time were "in vogue."
I've found these to be useful props in explaining the challenges faced when
maintaining long term/permanent records only in electronic format.  Placing
an 8" floppy next to a microfiche and asking the question "which media would
you put your trust in?" typically gets their attention.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Manager, Contracts/Records
  Management
Sempra Global
TEL: 619-696-4671
FAX: 619-696-2534
CELL: 619-952-7145

Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility, SDG&E or SoCalGas, and
Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission