From:
John Frost <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:32:51 +0000
There is some technology on the market you might want to investigate. If you have the time and money, this might be an avenue to accomplish your security needs via a software solution. I have only learned of these within the last year and I'm not an expert on them, but in theory they seem like they could be a missing piece of the ERM puzzle. In addition, not all functionality in these types of tools may be compatible with good records management practices.
They are known as Enterprise Rights Management Systems. They are also known as Enterprise Digital Rights Management (DRM). They allow you to limit activities on unstructured content (emails, spreadsheets, word processing documents, etc.) and they can do it on the server or even to the desktop. Here are a few applications you can investigate:
Microsoft Rights Management Server
AirZip
Pinion
These are not the only ones on the market. I'm also not recommending these products. I just wanted to offer you an avenue for investigation.
Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
John P. Frost, CRM