From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:00:32 -0800

> I have a friend whose collection of a composer's
> recordings, manuscripts, etc. are being sought by a university after he
> kicks the bucket.  He will donate the lot if all of it will be kept
> together as a research tool.  Is there any special language he should
> make sure is included in the agreement to guarantee this happens?

Onething I'd STRONGLY recommend is not to use any language such as:

 "We're really looking forward to managing your collection after you kick
the bucket"

=)

There are many ways to achieve this, one of the best would be to meet with
the potential provider of the materials and discuss the manner in which they
see the collection being best organized and preserved and gaining some
perspective on why they thing certain items are of value to the collection
prior to it being formally appraised.  Whoever appraises the collection when
it's turned over may not have this unique understanding of the value of some
of what may be deemed "ephemera" and not worthy of being include in an
archival repository.  This collector may have knowledge that is unique to
the history, provenance and value of some items that may seem extraneous to
an appraiser.

Gawd... I'm sounding like an archivist... must need some more coffee!

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA