From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:38:55 -0600
Yikes.  I really need some help folks.  Of late there are people within our
organization who want to have certain records scanned to optical disk.  Of
course there are issues regarding "what records," retention requirements,
cost feasibility, etc.  But, what has me alarmed is that they seem to want
our Records Management Department to do their scanning!  Now, I've been the
records manager here for many years and we've provided microfilming of
university records, based on my analysis etc., for all these years.
However, I have always felt this was the proper thing to do since we are the
department with the expertise in micrographic processes...and in this way we
could ensure that the process was done correctly.  However, I think it is a
different situation when you're doing electronic scanning.  I just don't
believe that is something to centralize in your Records Management
Department.  I can think of numerous reasons why....but would like to hear
from others why document scanning shouldn't be centralized within a large
organization...but rather a function within the departments that are
utilizing it.

Thanks for any info and opinions in advance!

Gus Harris
Records Manager
The Univ. of West FL
Pensacola, FL