From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 10:13:47 -0600
First, I want to thank everyone who has responded to my previous post
regarding scanning services centralized.  This list has always been
invaluable when it comes to getting the opinions and thoughts of folks who
are "the best and most knowledgeable" in the field. So again much
appreciation.  Now, let me share with you some more details about this...and
some of my initial reactions.

This is the situation.  Our university is a state university in Pensacola,
Florida.  Our Records Management department here at The University of West
Florida (www.uwf.edu/records) is located within the Administrative Division
of the University.  We are a department under Business Services. Most of the
other departments under BS like...Postal Services, Duplicating Services,
Copy Services, Licensing, ID Card, Food Services (contracted), Bookstore
(contracted)...are "income producing" auxiliaries.  We are often called a
"quasi auxiliary" since there are no charges for our services. And of course
that's because our services are not "take it or leave it" like some
auxiliaries, but mostly "requirements" typical of a "public" organization
records management program.  Most all of our procedures are mandated by the
State of Florida in statutes and administrative code...since we are a
"state/public" university.

The chain of authority here basically goes like this...I report to the
Director of Business Services who reports to the VP of Administrative
Affairs...who reports to the University President.  We have a new VP of
Administrative Affairs...and he is the person who has initiated this
proposal to "look at" providing centrally located scanning services for the
entire university in our department.  He has stated that he will commit the
dollars necessary if this is feasible.

Well, quite frankly knowing the great expertise of folks on this list, I'm
beginning to change my opinion.  You know I sent the previous post wanting
folks to tell me "why we shouldn't do this" and the replies are
overwhelmingly that "we should."  I hear what you all are saying.  I've also
thought more about it...since receiving the email just yesterday from my
supervisor alerting me that "this proposal is coming." So, this is all very
new and I haven't had alot of time to digest it...and of course meetings are
being set up now so it can be discussed much more.

Just to give you an idea of our RM department....  First, we have a small
records management department even though we carry out a tremendous amount
of responsibilities (probably like many of you!).  Currently, there is
myself, the Records Manager and one part time student assistant.  We ARE the
records management department.  Some office clerical support comes from the
Business Services department which is the area we report to.  We (my
supervisor/Director of Business Services and I) have been asking for a full
time records management assistant (ex. records tech) position for some time
now.  Records Management operates an inactive records storage facility with
approximately 4000 cubic feet of storage space.  We have space to expand
that will almost double that.  We also provide central microfilming...but in
recent years we have limited that to only the "real" cost effective,
necessary applications.  That is, primarily conversion of Student Academic
Records to microfilm.  We do one other conversion....Terminated Personnel
Files.  The microfilming work is a day in and day out process.  It takes,
using the part time person, 6-7 months to convert just 1 year of our student
records to microfilm.  Therefore, if we have a "really good year" then we
can get approximately 2 years records converted.  In that way, we "catch up"
a year.  We are several years behind because this work did not start until
there were many years Student Records already accumulated.  I actually
wanted the university to let me contract the backlog when this began...and
then let us maintain it.  But, none of the "powers that be" through the
years have wanted to commit that much money at once.  So, I provided a plan
that, with a "good year," we would catch up 1 year....and in years where we
had equipment problems...labor changes, etc...well, we would at least
convert 1 year so we wouldn't fall behind.  That has been the bulk of our
microfilm work.  There was a time when this department was microfilming all
sorts of records, but when I became the records manager here I changed all
that.  Most of what was being microfilmed was simply money being wasted.
The records, by retention and such, did not need to be converted.  They were
short term records and there was no cost justification for it.  We have also
had, over the last several years, more than 1 student assistant at a time
working on our microfilming.  From time to time during better budget years I
have had 2-3 or more.  However, I found that because of the complexities of
part time schedules and other factors...more than 2 people usually caused
more problems than good!  So we have been doing this work of late with just
1 or 2 part time people.  We as well (daily) spend alot of time with records
disposal, etc....all records disposition activities must go through this
office and of course we follow procedures consistent with the records
management requirements of Florida Statutes and Administrative Code.  Quite
honestly, and not just my subjective opinion but that of others including
outside consultants, we have one of the most effective RM programs of any
state agency in Florida.  I do an awful lot of "communicating" to our
employees on requrirements, etc...and I get a great deal of support from my
supervisor...who "pushes" our importance and necessity to the organization
every chance she gets. Of course it's still always a "fight" for money.  It
seems regardless of what you do, how well you perform....well you folks
know...RM is still often at the bottom of priorities.  Anyway, that's all
about us...and now...

Now, I'm beginning to think...hmmmm not only is it making sense to me that
we "should" do this work...but I also am beginning to see $$$$$ meaning
additional positions, etc.  In addition, I am thinking this could finally be
my opportunity to land squarely in the territory of our Information and
Telecommunications Department.  I don't mean move our department under that
area...but rather to "get more attention" to the fact that in our
development of electronic recordskeeping practices...RM has to be a key
leader.  We have good knowledgeable folks in our IT department.  But you
know it is most often a battle to get RM to the forefront of any IT
initiatives...even when it is obvious we belong there.

Our microfilming, I believe, is coming to an end.  The industry is pushing
us in other directions.  Equipment is difficult to find anymore, supplies
are becoming harder to get...maintenance on equipment and finding parts is
very difficult.  I have recently, even before this scanning proposal,
communicated to our Registrar's Office that our microfilming of Student
Records is surely coming to an end in the next few years...and that they
should begin planning for something else (electronic imaging).  Actually
they have been requesting money each year to implement a "complete" program
of electronic imaging, etc. that intertwines with the Financial Aid and
Admissions Departments.  And this is really why I have felt that electronic
imaging should be done within departments.  I don't see how these broader
"information" management applications can be centralized, even the scanning,
in the RM Department.  These applications include "scanning," but have far
wider information systems components requiring immediate scanning of
hardcopy documents and capture of electronic documents from web based
sources. It doesn't seem "practical" to me that the scanning could be done
outside the department.  But what I'm beginning to think is that perhaps it
is NOT an "all or none" type situation.  Maybe these more specialized,
broader applications will have to be done in the applicable department by
their personnel and with their systems....while other scanning applications,
with a more narrow scope, could be done in the RM department. And, if we get
in the "forefront" of this we will be able to lead the way regardless of
whether the work is done here or in another department.  We will be the
leader in ANY initiative that comes forward...ensuring compliance,
effectiveness, applicability, etc.  Does that make sense to you all who have
"been there, done that?"

This might just be the "ladder" that lets us more quickly rise to the level
of function and management that we really need to be at within our
organization.  Or, maybe I'm just dreaming! ;-)

At any rate, thanks again to everyone who has responded and keep your
opinions coming.  I've been in this business for a long time...and have alot
of experience in many areas.  However, there is nothing I respect more and
consider more valuable, than the wealth of experience from the many folks on
this list.

Much Appreciation,

Gus
The Univ. of West FL