From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:37:48 -0500
We encountered this same issue in the "old" microfilm days.  The
consensus of learned opinion at the time was that "sealed" meant
"sealed" and no could open the files without a court order.  The number
of possible pairs of eyes seeing the records in order to microfilm the
paper and inspect the film was often considered excessive.  In addition,
images of sealed records could not be on the same film roll as
non-sealed records.  Some courts in the U.S. did find ways of filming
sealed records as backup, but it took a whole lot of complicated
procedures to accomplish it.  Then the film rolls had to be "sealed" and
stored in special environmental storage areas.

I cannot see how these issues could be overcome with electronic imaging.
How would you "seal" the images?  Place them all on CDs and "seal" the
CDs?  What would you do with any backup tapes of the image files that
were created during the imaging project?  Images usually sit on a PC or
server during indexing and quality inspection before being burned to a
separate media.  How would you insure the images on the server/PC are
completed deleted? What about future migration?  CDs are not long term
storage media and the images would have to be migrated every 10 years or
so.  The "sealed" records issues would have to be addressed with every
migration.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager