Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:55:31 -0800
Robert W. Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
University Place, WA

Steve Morgan wrote:

I have to agree with Stephen. All records, except for duplicates, to be
destroyed need to go through your records department. Not only for
documentation purposes but, there are a couple of other reasons as well:

1. To be sure that the records being destroyed, in fact, ARE the correct
records that are to be destroyed.
2. To be sure they are following the most recent retention schedule as
opposed to an outdated one.

Duplicate copies should be written into the retention schedule as well &
pointing to the office of records of the originals. I am of the belief
that ALL records, except duplicates, need to go the RM department for
final disposition.

I cannot agree with Steve on this issue.  Maybe if you have a really small
company and have total control of the records you might be able to
accomplish the task of destroying all records in accordance with the company
retention policies, however, if you are a
multi-national company with many locations and/or a large company at one
site, you would be hard pressed to be the single source of document
destruction for all records within your organization.

I believe we have discussed this before, but we (Records Managers) should
not be the
"records police"   The responsibilities the management of your
organizational records should be incorporated into your policies and
procedures.  My recommendation for the management of the records would be at
the department level with guidance from the records management department.

Just my thoughts on a dreary Friday afternoon here in the Pacific NW

Robert W. Dalton, CRM