From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 01:09:14 EDT

Bill makes a good point that maintaining disposition management information
may reveal discrepancies. At the same time, inconsistencies in recordkeeping
practices -- e.g., maintaining such records in some instances -- opens up a
recordkeeping system to attack as much or more than having a uniform practice
and showing due diligence in striving to minimize discrepancies  through
efforts to have and follow good policies, procedures, processes,  systems, training
and practices. In my opinion, disposition records are by  definition archival
records that give evidence that such records existed and  were properly
managed through their ultimate disposition. This is articulated in  an old paper
that may still be interesting to people concerned with this issue,  "Electronic
Documents and Records Management Systems: Toward a Methodology for
Requirements Definition" that can be found in the Other Papers section of  mybestdocs. I
continue to be interested in the views of others on this  important subject.

Regards,

Rick

Rick Barry
_www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com/)
Cofounder, Open  Reader Consortium
_www.openreader.org_ (http://www.openreader.org)

In a message dated 4/5/2006 12:01:37 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,