From:
Graham Kitchen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:24:31 -0700
Just as we are preaching to the choir on this listserve, we are preaching to the choir at chapter meetings.

The people we are trying to reach are not on the listserve, nor do they attend chapter meetings.

Maybe it is up to us to personally call members that do not show up and ask them what the problem is.  Offer them some of our "sage advice" to help them through rough spots in their at work situations.  Whatever it takes. If we care so much, why don't we take this on?  Maybe we can be mentors to those who find it rough on the front lines.  After all, we are there too.  We have been there, done that, got the tee-shirt, etc.

I have asked some members why they do not attend and have heard some complaints that ARMA is being run by a "Good Old Boys Network".  This may be true, but at least someone is doing something for the profession.  We now have to break that image and call those who do not attend... for whatever reason.

If these members feel they are being called by someone who is actually interested, and that knows what they are talking about, maybe, just maybe they will attend at least one more meeting a year.  What would that bring the percentage to?  If each person talks to one person that ends up coming to meetings, we would have a 100% increase.

There I  go again.... Monday soap-box time.

Graham Kitchen
Corporate Records Manager
Unified Western Grocers
5200 Sheila Street