From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:45:37 -0400
ARMA elections (and indeed ARMA activities of many kinds) traditionally
have low participation.  That does not mean it has to be so.  I would
add to the comments already expressed (in no particular order):

<(1) Do we have a greater level of participation now than we did
previously, when our 150 chapter Boards of Directors made
recommendations to an election management committee?>
How many members are aware that the chapter Boards no longer do the
voting?  I was at the Conference Leadership session 10 years ago when
the issue of allowing individual members to actually vote for the
officers was hotly debated and finally approved.  I still have folks in
our chapter who asked who the Board is going to vote for.

< The information is pretty readily available for those who have an
interest, but is not often accessed.> <I also like his Candidate's
Corner online (picture, sound, video, vision for future of ARMA, etc.) -
do we have one?>
Sorry, but the ARMA web site is NOT intuitive to use to find
information.  If one is not use to navigating the internet and internet
sites, one does not bother to "dig" for information on a site.

<"We" (the Association membership) may want to consider permitting some
endorsements of candidates....some expression by individuals or groups
(chapters, ISGs, etc.) of support.>
This could become a BIG bucket of worms.  Endorsements and support of
particular candidates could become divisive issues within the ISGs and
chapters long before the support/endorsement could make it to the bigger
world.  I would, however, support the ability of candidates to discuss
or agree/disagree with RIM issues and ARMA-impacting issues on
listserves and so on AS candidates for office, providing we do not have
the "my opponent stinks because" rhetoric that permeates national and
local elections.

<(4) Voting results that show chapters and region votes. (4)
Campaigning guidelines>
Definitely positive re-enforces for election participation.  I would
like to see both these elements introduced into the election process.

<Also: Is the internet the only way to vote? Is this a barrier?> <It
would be nice to know the breakdown ie e-ballot vs paper in this
election.>
I don't believe paper ballots were issued this time - at least not to
the majority of members.  I understand the cost savings approach,
however, there are folks that either are not allowed or feel
uncomfortable using their work computers to vote on-line.  The mass
confusion with rescheduling the election, the data loss or corruptions
that resulted in folks suddenly not members, and the various e-mails (I
received 3) saying "sorry you were left off the ballot process, please
vote" finally followed by the e-mail (again I received 3) saying "oops,
we made another goof, disregard the e-mail telling you to vote" I
believe played a role in the low election participation.

<I held a Chapter meeting in January to discuss the upcoming election
and the ARMA Leadership Structure (position titles, duties, terms of
office, etc.) with my Chapter and NO ONE was previously aware of ANY of
this information...>
Another good positive re-enforcer, and one national should consider
promoting.

<The ARMA Forum was one area where folks could ask questions of the
candidates, but that required one to take the action to visit the
Forum.>
My pet peeve.  The ARMA forum is just plain a pain to navigate.  I find
it very difficult to find a particular thread and then to follow it
backwards.  There should be other venues where candidates can also
discuss the issues that are easier to access and use.

<slate of candidates>
The most frequently used excuse for not voting.  "We don't have choices
for the offices."  "There is usually only one name listed for an office,
so why bother to vote."  This is not always true, but it was the norm
for so long many folks don't bother to see that things have changed.  We
need to get the word out that there ARE choices now.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division