From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:31:25 -0400
Graham wrote:  <I would imagine that the 16% number also applies to attendance at Chapter functions.>  We actually have about 45% attendance this year at our meetings (woo hoo!).  However, that statistic aside, the number of volunteers to support Chapter activities is probably REALLY close to the 16% mark, if that.  We get them in the seats but we can't seem to get many to go beyond that - to truly reap the benefits of membership (IMHO).

On a side note, I'll bet there are many out there that pay annual dues just for the resources (webinars, etc).  Also, there are probably many who do not devote their entire professional career to RIM, it's only a portion of their responsibilities, and RIM is perhaps not their life's calling (hard to believe, I know!).  These two groups alone make up some percent of our membership, and to be honest, they probably are getting out of it what they want/need.  "Value" is in the eye of the beholder.

Graham wrote:  <Some say they can not come to lunch meetings because of the lack of company support.>  I have a feeling that those who can't get company support aren't always making a strong case to their manager.  If the member feels really strongly about the benefits of the assn and chapter activities, he/she will be more apt to work really hard to make the case to their superiors.  However, it is the Assn's job (at all levels) to help them understand why they should fight and to provide the ammo to fire at mgmt to get the funding approved.

Back to the participation topic:  Personally, I believe that the best chance to inspire an individual to become active (and that's what we're talking about doing) is to actually have direct, two-way, conversations with individuals about their goals, experience, fears, etc.  And where is the best chance to do that?  At the Chapter level where real-life practitioners and ARMA leaders are, who have been there, done that, have the tee shirt, etc. who can co-miserate, uplift, encourage, share and learn.  Once we have them across the table, breaking bread with us, we've got the communication down to a level that can prove to be very impactful.  This is where the already ignited spark can turn into passion for the profession, and hopefully a sense of ownership in the association.

I feel that if National worked at doing a better job marketing Chapter Membership (and made it much EASIER to join a Chapter!), we at the local level would see more recruits each month at our meetings.  Of course once they show up, the leadership and general membership of the Chapter need to take the active role in welcoming the individual to the group and helping them understand the many ways they can enhance their ARMA experience.  On the flip side, we also need to be providing various opportunities for member feedback, clarifying what we are hearing, and then really listening again to what our members have to say.  Chapter level communication is critical and is something that I, as a Board member of the Atlanta Chapter, am deeply concerned about.

Also, I think National can assist more at the Regional Leadership Conferences - by providing additional resources, guidance, etc.  Making sure that the local Chapters and Regions truly understand the goals for the upcoming year at the International level and help craft their local programs and initiatives to support and enhance the larger goals.  This will provide a greater level of cohesiveness in communication - something I think most members would appreciate.

So, the net net, in my opinion, is we need to communicate more directly, proactively, interactively, cohesively and passionately as an association to INDIVIDUALS by better utilizing our region/chapter structure and streamlining communication channels (arma.org in particular as the primary channel) and/or utilizing various communication channels.  Positive and encouraging experiences at the local level will promote confidence in individuals to interact at higher levels and in varied ways.

Thanks for the space to share my opinion - 'cause you know I always have one!

Julie

Julie Colgan
Manager of Records Services
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
Tel: 404.873.8164
Fax: 404.439.1811
[log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask] >

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.