From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:54:08 -0500
>>There are MANY reasons for considering the conversion of paper format
documents and records to digital formats, but the ABSOLUTE LAST REASON
should be "to save space".<<

I realize I am taking my life into my hands when I respond to this but
no risk, no reward.

I agree with nearly everything that Larry says here but will add one
little caveat.  Sometimes saving space is the business reason that
results in :

>>improved access to information, a need for providing
concurrent/simultaneous access the same information to multiple users,
the ability for users to avoid the duplication and use of multiple
copies of paper records by using electronic representations instead,
etc.<<

I can think of several examples where space was the driving
consideration for imaging the records.  Granted, you can also say the
decision was based on other factors like customer service or needed
access, but the bottom line was lack of space.  In these instances, it
was far less expensive to image the documents than it was to move the
offices.  There was no available space to expand the records storage
area and the records were far too active to move to an offsite location.
So the choices are either, image the records so you can stay where you
are today or move an entire office function to a new location.

In these instances, imaging to save space was the "ABSOLUTE LAST REASON"
and the right business decision.

Bill R

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator