From:
"Rock, Jonathan E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:45:44 -0400
>What experiences have you had if any regarding the management of
content in >the collaboration tool from EMC Documentum called E-Room?

>Thanks
>Barry

Barry,

E-room is pretty user-friendly.  It is easy to move files around by drag
and drop, and it's password accessible.

Here are the items you can create within E-room:

Folder
- Just like on your desktop.  You can drag and drop other items into
them.

 Discussion
- I haven't used this one yet but I think it's like a bulletin board.

Note
- "A text page, with areas for file attachments and comments. Unlike
files that have been dragged into an eRoom, notes don't require the
reader to have a particular application in order to open them."
I haven't used this.

Poll
- Poll the other users and tabulate the result.  Would you rather have:
a monkey with a dog's head?  A dog with a monkey's head?  Check one.

Calendar
 "A simple team calendar, with month, week and list views, recurring
events, and synchronization to Outlook."
I just use Outlook for this.

Database
 "A fully customizable user-defined database for milestones, issues,
contacts or other structured project information. You can choose fields
and data types, and add, sort, group, search and filter entries. Each
entry can have comments and attachments, like any other eRoom page."
This is the feature I have used most often.  The Database is super easy
to set up in E-room.  When you click Create and choose Database it walks
you through setting it up asking what fields you want. Dropdown list,
radio buttons, text field, that sort of thing.  The sort and filter
functions are useful but it does not generate any reports that I can
tell.  If you want to group your results, say by last name, it will show
a list of last names with a + box next to each for the names that
multiple entries.  If you click the + the page reloads and returns you
to the top (kind of annoying) but then when you scroll down to that name
again there is a collapsible list of associated entries underneath.
The Pick-a-date-from-the-calendar button invariably hangs it.  No big
whoop, I just type in the dates, but if I click on the calendar icon to
pick a date that way the thing freezes and I have to logout and back in
and re-enter the entry I was working on.  I don't know if that is a
problem confined to my worksite or if that's something bigger.

Inbox
"A special folder that can receive and store email messages. By cc'ing
email messages about your project to your eRoom, you can create an
automatic archive of project correspondence."
I haven't used this one either.

Other File
"A file handled by another application, like a word-processor document
or a spreadsheet."
Never done this, but it looks useful.

Link
"A shortcut to a Web site, other eRoom, or even an individual file or
page in an eRoom. Anything that has a Web address (a URL) can be linked
to."
Nor have I used this.

There is also a feature called Intercom which you can access by clicking
Open Intercom.  It's a mini-chat room where everyone in the E-room at
the time can chat for a while.  We haven't used it a lot, but it's kind
of fun.

Everything you create in E-room you can limit or leave open as far as
who can access it or edit it.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence I would call it a password
protected multi function shared area with a butler.

Take my comments with a grain of salt as I mainly use it for the
Database and could not be considered a "Super-user" by any stretch.
Perhaps someone else on the list has pushed it to its limits?

Jonathan Rock
Library Technician I
Site Compliance Document Library
Pfizer Inc