From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:41:32 -0400
Perhaps a better question regarding the federal data security legislation
is:

(1) What input did you provide to your Senator? to your Congressman?

During the 1990s, ARMA members, without having a dedicated staff member,
launched petition drives, letter writing campaigns, etc. in order to protect
key provisions of what is known as The Paperwork Reduction Act.  ARMA still
has a very effective staff voice in this area, but the ONLY, repeat ONLY way
to effectively reach members of Congress, without handing out money, is for
RIM professionals to express their thoughts, in writing to their
representatives.

So, the best question is.... what did WE do in order to influence our
Representatives and Senators?

Well our Congress has spoken and big business wins and the little guy
loses. The Republicans and Democrats spent considerable time agonizing
over just how much graft they could take from the lobbyists for such a
magnificent prize as making them invulnerable to risk from disclosure
of our private financial data. So short of you proving in court that
your banker, hospital, or credit card company deliberately disclosed
your information for the sole purpose of trying to hurt you
specifically, this is not consumer friendly.  The risk as always falls
on us.  The California law was better from the common man's position.

We need a Common Citizen Party because both of the existing parties
only worry about the wealthy guys interests.  Between this and the
Immigration Bill I have come to believe that none of these guys really
love America. Who do these guys think they are serving?

Protecting the records that protect our identity is a real records
management issue and by looking at how they watered down the
legislation from California's version to the version they came up with
shows you whether our congress cares about protecting citizens and the
money from this criminal activity funds all the wrong types of
activities.  I warned the List this was in the works and we needed some
serious letter writing to have an impact.  But now I think it is too
late.  Our only hope is to take Cheney into Congress bird hunting.  We
release a few pigeons and let the VP go to work.  Inhumane you say?
There is no way he is hitting those pigeons! Shoot (no pun intended),
he barely could hit an attorney.  But a room full of
attorneys............??

Hugh Smith
(My opinion and mine alone.)