From:
"King, Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:01:20 -0500
To the other Doug ... I'm glad you did get some shredder recommendations, rather than only recommendations to use secure containers for vendor pickup. Sometimes, there is simply no substitute for seeing the confidential materials go in one end whole, and come out the other as confetti. In-house shredding may not be efficient, but it can be effective.

I always offer to batch materials that do not have to go through our formal review and approval process in with the next vendor pickup, but if the customer wants to invest the staff time in shredding itself, then we will gladly instruct in how to use our shredder, change bags, and stack on cart for pickup. DA and multiple Courts departments routinely shred here in the Records Center -- both manage their own compliance with State RM laws. For County departments, we confirm that materials for shredding are use duplicates or other materials that are not "government records" for purposes of Kansas law. In select instances, RM staff will do the shredding, in the interest of minimizing risk of identity theft or in the interest of keeping what must be confidential by law, confidential (and customer relations).