From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:43:00 -0400
Sharon Belrose wrote <I would appreciate it if anyone might share other guidelines for retaining bankruptcy cases>

We keep them for 10 years beyond close of the matter (at a minimum!).  The main criteria that helped us arrived at that number include (but are not limited to) statute of limitation, federal, state and local regulation, nature of our role in the bankruptcy (trustee, etc.), ethics opinions, etc.

Determining retention periods for law firms can be challenging as we are not highly regulated and we are often acting as "custodians" of the client's files (depends on your state bar's opinion on "ownership").  I suggest you consider other state's stances on "ownership" as well, particularly California and New York.  We almost always choose a conservative retention period over an aggressive one - but that may just be us!

Best of luck to you!

Julie Colgan
Manager of Records Services
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
Tel: 404.873.8164
Fax: 404.439.1811
[log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask] >

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.